Ways a makeup artist can make you look better
Have you ever wondered how can a professional makeup artist do their magic on you? And no matter how hard you try and follow their steps, the results are incomparable. Here are some tips and tricks that the pros use regularly which can make your makeup application as wonderful as theirs.
Makeup can cover and hide different facial flaws from acne, scars, redness and other signs of aging. Achieve a flawless look by camouflaging these flaws with the use of makeup. Here are some simple tricks that will help cover unwanted flaws:
1. Prep the skin with a primer. It will help augment and prepare the skin for makeup application. Primers with a silicons base can smooth out the skin texture and flatten the fine lines.
2. Use a color corrector. It will target particular imperfections such as under eye circles, redness, and sallow complexion. Find the right color for your facial concerns.
3. Apply a foundation. It will further help in hiding the red marks by making it look less visible. Look for a warmer color because a warmer skin tone will make you younger.
4. Right amount of concealer. Choose the right shade and apply the right amount of concealer in order to hide unwanted spots.
5. Finish of with powder. Lock the products applied in place with a lightweight powder.
After the doing the basic coverage, the next steps are for accenting and highlighting certain features on the face:
1. Accentuate the bone structure. Rub some blush at the highest points of the cheekbones, this trick will make the bone structure stand out.
2. Filling in the brows. Using a light shade pencil, one shade lighter than your natural color, will make the brows look softer and natural, plus it will look fuller.
3. Highlight particular areas. Applying a light and shiny powder on the upper part of the cheekbones, below the eyebrows and inside portion of the eye lids will help draw attention on the positive features of the face and will help scars less obvious.
4. Contour the lips. Make the lips fuller by using a white eyeliner pencil to draw past the natural lip line and redoing it with the color of your lipstick. Apply a light shade of foundation around the new lip line to make the edges softer and blended. Fill in the rest of the lips with your lipstick.
Always remember that less is more, even in makeup application! If you want to look younger, choose lighter shades in order to make your features stand out but not too strong.
What do makeup artists do and how to become one
The love for makeup, cosmetics and color plus creativity on experimenting are good signs that a person can potentially be a makeup artist.
Duties and Responsibilities of a Makeup Artist
There are different scenarios and job description of a makeup artist, whether working independently, working with a senior colleague or with a design team. Here are some of the basic duties a makeup artist should have:
- application of complete makeup and cosmetics
- shaping of eyebrows, lips, hair and facial hair
- hair styling with different looks
- produce sketches for different looks for the client
- makeup for different occasions such as weddings, dates, etc.
- makeup trials
- special effects using prosthetic, wig, and other materials
- document makeup progress for future use
- giving advice to clients about hygiene on applying and removing makeup
Finally, if you have excess facial or body hair, you may want to consider some of the hair removal options available these days, ranging from temporary, semi-permanent to permanent in terms of results. Temporary hair removal methods range from shaving, epilating and waxing. Permanent hair removal typically involves electrolysis or professional hair removal. However, these days, here are many at-home laser hair removal machines & systems that claim to deliver permanent results. Check out this review of at-home hair removal laser devices to see the best options available.
Laser hair removal is the best option for people who wants to get rid of hair permanently, especially for those who are tired of the endless cycle of plucking, shaving or waxing. The treatment uses highly concentrated light beams targeting the hair follicles. The pigments in the follicles directly absorbs the light thus destroying the hair. During the process, the patient can feel an intense heat as it will damage the hair follicles, which will inhibit future hair growth. The precision of the laser can target coarse and dark hairs without damaging the surrounding skin. The speed of each pulse coming from the laser takes only a fraction of a second but it can treat as many hairs possible. Most patients experience the effect of hair loss after going through an average of three to seven sessions. Although the treatment may slow the unwanted hair growth, it still does not guarantee a permanent hair removal. Some patients may require periodic maintenance treatments in order to extend the hair-free period. A variety of lasers are out on the market today, some are considered more effective than the other depending on the hair color, skin tone and treatment areas. The laser hair removal works best for people with lighter skin and dark hair.
Requirements to Become a Makeup Artist
Usually, academics is not as important as the creative and practical skills in the makeup industry. There are many makeup artists who does not have a degree related to makeup. Most artists started from their hobby and love for makeup itself. But as a stepping stone, a person can further study by taking a degree, or take up several classes and training that can help develop a person’s knowledge and experience. For a makeup artist to have an edge in the industry, exposure to different occasions and industries such as wedding events, TV production, theater, will make you more valuable in the market.
In terms of practical skills, other than the aforementioned makeup skills, make up artists these days may also need to be familiar with simple facial treatments like chemical peels including the use of glycolic acid and salicylic acid peels. The use of spa equipment like ipl machines and high frequency facial devices are also becoming increasingly popular.
In fact, many makeup artists now include portable or home use facial or spa equipment as part of their work kit. A device called the Derma Wand is now quite popular with makeup artist as it complements their makeup work and allows them to give their clients a quick facial before or after the makeup work.
Another type of popular facial devices are handheld microdermabrasion devices. Traditional microdermabrasion devices are rather bulky contraptions that are very costly and unwieldly and can usually only be found in spas or dermatologists' office. Nowadays, however, there are many smaller handheld devices like the PMD Personal Microderm or the Nubrilliance handheld diamond microdermabrasion system that helps makeup artists give their clients a quick skin peel. This can enhance the texture of their skin by sloughing off dead and dull skin. An example of such devices would be the PMD Personal Microderm reviewed on this microdermbrasion website.